PSY 402 Topic 5 Benchmark Memory and Brain Mechanisms Paper
The goal of this paper is to understand how the brain and memory processes are intertwined and how certain techniques can improve these processes. In an essay of 1,000-1,250 words, discuss how memories are formed and maintained in the brain through the actions of neural circuitry. Use at least four scholarly resources to address the following questions:
- Theoretically, how is working memory similar to and different from long-term memory?
- How are memories formed in the brain (using neural circuitry), and how are they maintained?
- When is it adaptive to remember, and in what ways may it be adaptive to forget?
- Given what we know about brain mechanisms in memory, are our memories accurate? Explain your answer using information on how memories are stored in the brain.
- How can knowledge of the brain and memory systems be used to help individuals suffering from memory problems (e.g., poor memory, amnesia, PTSD)?
- Compare the role age and environment play in how memories are formed and maintained.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. Refer to the directions in the Student Success Center.
This benchmark assignment assesses the following programmatic competency: 1.3: Compare biological and psychological explanations of the brain and its functions and 2.3: Apply critical thinking skills in solving problems related to behavior and mental processes.