Boost your Grades with us today!
NURS 8114 Blog Observation of Evidence-Based Practice Walden
NURS 8114 Blog Observation of Evidence-Based Practice Walden
As a DNP, you will have a significant voice in your health care setting to advocate for evidence-based nursing practice. Understanding how evidence can inform better nursing care and patient outcomes is fundamental to successful advocacy, as are examples of where, why, and how evidence-based practice is needed.
Photo Credit: steheap / Adobe Stock
For this activity, you will essentially observe for evidence to support evidence-based practice. You will write and post a blog in which you identify examples of evidence-based practice in your health care organization and/or examples of need for application of evidence-based practice. Although the blog functions like a Discussion Board, the aim is to be somewhat more informal in sharing your perspectives. Colleagues will respond to your blog, as you will respond to theirs.
- Review the Learning Resources, particularly the chapter on evidence-based practice from McEwen and Wills, and readings in the White, Dudley-Brown, and Terhaar text.
- With your understanding of evidence-based practice in mind, observe for examples of evidence-based practice (EBP) in the health care organization where you practice, and/or examples of nursing practice that are tradition bound and lack an evidence base.
- Consider conditions that support EBP within health care organizations and recommendations for application of EBP.
With these thoughts in mind …
By Day 3 of Week 4
Post a blog on the topic of evidence-based practice in the health care organization where you practice. Drawing on your understanding of EBP and your firsthand observations within your organization, include the following content in your blog:
- Briefly describe one specific example of evidence-based practice that produced/is producing significant patient outcomes. Or, ifNURS 8114 Blog Observation of Evidence-Based Practice Waldenyou are lacking examples, describe a recent patient experience that might have been improved through application of evidence-based practice. Explain your reasoning. Note: To maintain confidentiality, do not refer to individuals by name or with identifying details.
- Evaluate the overall application of evidence-based practice within your health care organization, including conditions that support it or roadblocks to overcome. Explain your reasoning, including how you have arrived at your conclusions.
- Describe how you can advocate for application of evidence-based practice within your health care organization.
Read a selection of your colleagues’ blogs.
Click here to ORDER an A++ paper from our MASTERS and DOCTORATE WRITERS: NURS 8114 Blog Observation of Evidence-Based Practice Walden
By Day 6 of Week 4
Respond to at least two of your colleagues on 2 different days. Compare their observations and evaluations of EBP in their health care organizations with your own and offer recommendations for advancing EBP or identify suggestions you will apply in your own practice setting.
Week 4: Evidence-Based Practice, Quality Improvement, and Implementation Science: Interrelationships
From your experience as a registered nurse or APRN, how does change occur in a health care setting? How do outdated protocols get updated or the actual root cause of a persistent problem get uncovered and resolved?
You may have answers that speak to the commitment of health care organizations to continually improve. You may also have examples that demonstrate the inherent challenges in any change initiative. If only change were as clear and quick as striking a key. Rather, it requires a whole series of figurative keystrokes and, depending on the setting, may seem as though the whole world needs to be onboard.
This week you will explore a particular set of keys to quality improvement in health care. It involves reliance on science for evidence to inform nursing practice and implementation that makes sense to practitioners and patients. Your getting-started activities will include observing for and blogging about evidence-based practice, and looking for health care settings in your locale for investigating needs and acceptance of practice change.
- Evaluate application of evidence-based practice in health care organizations
- Analyze approaches to advocacy of evidence-based practice in health care organizations
- Compare health care settings for quality improvement projects
- Justify practice problems for quality improvement
- Analyze site and stakeholder requirements for quality improvement projects in nursing practice settings
- Compare stakeholder requirements for quality improvement projects across nursing practice settings
- Apply implementation science frameworks/models for evidence-based practice quality improvement projects
McEwen, M., & Wills, E. M. (2019). Theoretical basis for nursing (5th ed.). Wolters Kluwer.
- Chapter 12, “Evidence-Based Practice and Nursing Theory” (pp. 253–272 [PDF]
Theoretical Basis for Nursing, 5th Edition by McEwen, M.; Wills, E. Copyright 2019 by Wolters Kluwer. Reprinted by permission of Wolters Kluwer via the Copyright Clearance Center. Licensed in 2020.
White, K. M., Dudley-Brown, S., & Terhaar, M. F. (Eds.). (2019). Translation of evidence into nursing and healthcare (3rd ed.). Springer.
- Chapter 1, “Evidence-Based Practice” (pp. 3–25); for reading about the PET model, focus on pp.14–16
- Chapter 2, “The Science of Translation and Major Frameworks” (pp. 27–58)
- Chapter 8, “Methods for Translation” (pp. 185–187 Quality Improvement and RCPI)
- Chapter 9, “Project Management for Translation” (pp. 199–228)
Dang, D., & Dearholt, S. L. (Eds.). (2018). Johns Hopkins nursing evidence-based practice: Model and guidelines (3rd ed.). Sigma Theta Tau International.
- Chapter 5, “Searching for Evidence” (pp. 79–96)
Boehm, L. M., Stolldorf, D. P., & Jeffery, A. D. (2020). Implementation science training and resources for nurses and nurse scientists. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 52(1), 47–54. https://doi.org/10.1111/jnu.12510
Dunagan, P. B. (2017). The quality improvement attitude survey: Development and preliminary psychometric characteristics. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 26(23–24), 5113–5120. https://doi.org/10.1111/jocn.14054
Note: The survey findings can be used to explore relationships between nursing attitudes concerning QI and other organizational characteristics such as QI environment.
Hammersla, M., Belcher, A., Ruccio, L. R., Martin, J., & Bingham, D. (2021). Practice and quality improvement leaders survey of expectations of DNP graduates’ quality improvement expertise. Nurse Educator [Epub ahead of print]. https://doi.org/10.1097/NNE.0000000000001009
Jones-Schenk, J., & Bleich, M. R. (2019). Implementation science as a leadership and doctor of nursing practice competency. The Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing, 50(11), 491–492. https://doi.org/10.3928/00220124-20191015-03
Powell, B. J., Waltz, T. J., Chinman, M. J., Damschroder, L. J., Smith, J. L., Matthieu, M. M., Proctor, E. K., & Kirchner, J. E. (2015). A refined compilation of implementation strategies: Results from the Expert Recommendations for Implementing Change (ERIC) project. Implementation Science, 10:21. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13012-015-0209-1
Rew, L., Cauvin, S., Cengiz, A., Pretorius, K., & Johnson, K. (2020). Application of project management tools and techniques to support nursing intervention research. Nursing Outlook, 68(4), 396–405. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.outlook.2020.01.007
Shea, C. M., Jacobs, S. R., Esserman, D. A., Bruce, K., & Weiner, B. J. (2014). Organizational readiness for implementing change: A psychometric assessment of a new measure. Implementation Science, 9(7), 1–15.
Walden University Academic Skills Center. (n.d.). How do I create a strong PowerPoint presentation? https://academicanswers.waldenu.edu/faq/72804
Walden University Academic Skills Center. (n.d.). MS PowerPoint resources: Getting started. https://academicanswers.waldenu.edu/faq/330533
Walden University. (2011). An evidence-based practice model [Video]. Author.
Translation text lead author Kathleen White discusses the PET model.
Walden University. (2021). DNP glossary [Interactive media]. Walden University Blackboard. https://class.waldenu.edu
Walden University Writing Center. (n.d.). Webinars: Scholarly writing. https://academicguides.waldenu.edu/writingcenter/webinars/scholarlywriting#s-lg-box-9094031
Walden University Writing Center. (n.d.). Writing as a process. https://academicguides.waldenu.edu/writingcenter/doctoral/capstone/preproposal/writingasaprocess
Lopes Write Policy
For assignments that need to be submitted to Lopes Write, please be sure you have received your report and Similarity Index (SI) percentage BEFORE you do a “final submit” to me.
Once you have received your report, please review it. This report will show you grammatical, punctuation, and spelling errors that can easily be fixed. Take the extra few minutes to review instead of getting counted off for these mistakes.
Review your similarities. Did you forget to cite something? Did you not paraphrase well enough? Is your paper made up of someone else’s thoughts more than your own?
Visit the Writing Center in the Student Success Center, under the Resources tab in LoudCloud for tips on improving your paper and SI score.
The university’s policy on late assignments is 10% penalty PER DAY LATE. This also applies to late DQ replies.
Please communicate with me if you anticipate having to submit an assignment late. I am happy to be flexible, with advance notice. We may be able to work out an extension based on extenuating circumstances.
If you do not communicate with me before submitting an assignment late, the GCU late policy will be in effect.
I do not accept assignments that are two or more weeks late unless we have worked out an extension.
As per policy, no assignments are accepted after the last day of class. Any assignment submitted after midnight on the last day of class will not be accepted for grading.
Communication is so very important. There are multiple ways to communicate with me:
Questions to Instructor Forum: This is a great place to ask course content or assignment questions. If you have a question, there is a good chance one of your peers does as well. This is a public forum for the class.
Individual Forum: This is a private forum to ask me questions or send me messages. This will be checked at least once every 24 hours.
Important information for writing discussion questions and participation
Welcome to class
Hello class and welcome to the class and I will be your instructor for this course. This is a -week course and requires a lot of time commitment, organization, and a high level of dedication. Please use the class syllabus to guide you through all the assignments required for the course. I have also attached the classroom policies to this announcement to know your expectations for this course. Please review this document carefully and ask me any questions if you do. You could email me at any time or send me a message via the “message” icon in halo if you need to contact me. I check my email regularly, so you should get a response within 24 hours. If you have not heard from me within 24 hours and need to contact me urgently, please send a follow up text to
I strongly encourage that you do not wait until the very last minute to complete your assignments. Your assignments in weeks 4 and 5 require early planning as you would need to present a teaching plan and interview a community health provider. I advise you look at the requirements for these assignments at the beginning of the course and plan accordingly. I have posted the YouTube link that explains all the class assignments in detail. It is required that you watch this 32-minute video as the assignments from week 3 through 5 require that you follow the instructions to the letter to succeed. Failure to complete these assignments according to instructions might lead to a zero. After watching the video, please schedule a one-on-one with me to discuss your topic for your project by the second week of class. Use this link to schedule a 15-minute session. Please, call me at the time of your appointment on my number. Please note that I will NOT call you.
Please, be advised I do NOT accept any assignments by email. If you are having technical issues with uploading an assignment, contact the technical department and inform me of the issue. If you have any issues that would prevent you from getting your assignments to me by the deadline, please inform me to request a possible extension. Note that working fulltime or overtime is no excuse for late assignments. There is a 5%-point deduction for every day your assignment is late. This only applies to approved extensions. Late assignments will not be accepted.
If you think you would be needing accommodations due to any reasons, please contact the appropriate department to request accommodations.
Plagiarism is highly prohibited. Please ensure you are citing your sources correctly using APA 7th edition. All assignments including discussion posts should be formatted in APA with the appropriate spacing, font, margin, and indents. Any papers not well formatted would be returned back to you, hence, I advise you review APA formatting style. I have attached a sample paper in APA format and will also post sample discussion responses in subsequent announcements.
Your initial discussion post should be a minimum of 200 words and response posts should be a minimum of 150 words. Be advised that I grade based on quality and not necessarily the number of words you post. A minimum of TWO references should be used for your initial post. For your response post, you do not need references as personal experiences would count as response posts. If you however cite anything from the literature for your response post, it is required that you cite your reference. You should include a minimum of THREE references for papers in this course. Please note that references should be no more than 5 years old except recommended as a resource for the class. Furthermore, for each discussion board question, you need ONE initial substantive response and TWO substantive responses to either your classmates or your instructor for a total of THREE responses. There are TWO discussion questions each week, hence, you need a total minimum of SIX discussion posts for each week. I usually post a discussion question each week. You could also respond to these as it would count towards your required SIX discussion posts for the week.
I understand this is a lot of information to cover in 5 weeks, however, the Bible says in Philippians 4:13 that we can do all things through Christ that strengthens us. Even in times like this, we are encouraged by God’s word that we have that ability in us to succeed with His strength. I pray that each and every one of you receives strength for this course and life generally as we navigate through this pandemic that is shaking our world today. Relax and enjoy the course!
Please read through the following information on writing a Discussion question response and participation posts.
Contact me if you have any questions.
Important information on Writing a Discussion Question
- Your response needs to be a minimum of 150 words (not including your list of references)
- There needs to be at least TWO references with ONE being a peer reviewed professional journal article.
- Include in-text citations in your response
- Do not include quotes—instead summarize and paraphrase the information
- Follow APA-7th edition
- Points will be deducted if the above is not followed
Participation –replies to your classmates or instructor
- A minimum of 6 responses per week, on at least 3 days of the week.
- Each response needs at least ONE reference with citations—best if it is a peer reviewed journal article
- Each response needs to be at least 75 words in length (does not include your list of references)
- Responses need to be substantive by bringing information to the discussion or further enhance the discussion. Responses of “I agree” or “great post” does not count for the word count.
- Follow APA 7th edition
- Points will be deducted if the above is not followed
- Remember to use and follow APA-7th edition for all weekly assignments, discussion questions, and participation points.
- Here are some helpful links
- Student paper example
- Citing Sources
- The Writing Center is a great resource