Boost your Grades with us today!
Sample Answer for NR 505NP Week 1: Area of Interest in NP Included After Question
NR 505NP Week 1: Area of Interest in NP
Over the course of the next eight weeks, we will be examining concepts related to nursing research and the translation of evidence to practice. To help you better understand the process, you will be identifying a practice issue for nurse practitioners. You will develop a PICOT question associated with the issue, find evidence to support a change in practice, and present your recommendations for change to your peers. This week, we will work on helping you refine your area of interest so that you will be able to develop a concise question for next week’s assignment. You are encouraged to use the area of interest you chose for the project in NR500NP and/or NR501NP; however, you may choose a different area if you wish.
Select an issue in nurse practitioner (NP) practice that is of interest to you and in which you would like to see a practice change occur. Conduct a review of literature to see what is currently known about the topic. In 1-2 paragraphs, describe the scope and relevance of the issue and your recommended change. Provide reference support from at least two outside scholarly sources to support your ideas. Please pick something you can do as a NP in your practice that is patient focused. Your intervention needs to relate to a measurable patient health outcome. Please avoid anything that would require a policy or law change, such as full-practice authority. Burnout and satisfaction surveys also are not appropriate topics as they are not patient centered.
Review this 4-minute video to gain a better understanding of the requirements of a PICOT question. The PICOT question is not a research question, but a quality improvement issue that requires a practice change.
A 5% late penalty will be imposed for discussions posted after the deadline on Wednesday, regardless of the number of days late. NOTHING will be accepted after 11:59pm MT on Sunday (i.e. student will receive an automatic 0 for any portion of the discussion not posted by that time).
NOTE: To receive credit for a week’s discussion, students may begin posting no earlier than the Sunday immediately before each week opens. Unless otherwise specified, access to most weeks begins on Sunday at 12:01 a.m. MT, and that week’s assignments are due by the next Sunday by 11:59 p.m. MT. Week 8 opens at 12:01 a.m. MT Sunday and closes at 11:59 p.m. MT Saturday.
A zero is the lowest score that a student can be assigned.
Faculty may submit any collaborative discussion posting to Turnitin in order to verify originality.
Total Points Possible: 50
A Sample Answer For the Assignment: NR 505NP Week 1: Area of Interest in NP
Title: NR 505NP Week 1: Area of Interest in NP
Preparing the Assignment
- Application of Course Knowledge: The student’s initial post contributes unique perspectives or insights gleaned from personal experience or examples from the healthcare field. The student must accurately and fully discuss the topic for the week in addition to providing personal or professional examples. The student must completely answer the entire initial question. Initial post must be posted by Wednesday at 11:59pm MT. Two resources must be used in your initial post. One from the weekly reading or lesson and one outside source.
- Engagement in Meaningful Dialogue: The student responds to a student peer and course faculty to further dialogue.
- Peer Response: The student responds substantively to at least one topic-related post by a student peer. A substantive post adds content or insights or asks a question that will add to the learning experience and/or generate discussion.
- A post of “I agree” with a repeat of the other student’s post does not count as a substantive post. A collection of shallow posts does not equal a substantive post.
- The peer response must occur on a separate day from the initial posting.
- The peer response must occur before Sunday, 11:59 p.m. MT.
- The peer response does not require a scholarly citation and reference unless the information is paraphrased and/or direct quotes are used, in which APA style standards then apply.
- Faculty Response: The student responds substantively to at least one question by course faculty. The faculty question may be directed to the student, to another student, or to the entire class.
- A post of “I agree” with a repeat of the faculty’s post does not count as a substantive post. A collection of shallow posts does not equal a substantive post.
- The faculty response must occur on a separate day from the initial posting.
- Responses to the faculty member must occur by Sunday, 11:59 p.m. MT.
- This response does not require a scholarly citation and reference unless the information is paraphrased and/or direct quotes are used, in which APA style standards then apply.
- Integration of Evidence: The student post provides support from a minimum of one scholarly in-text citation with a matching reference AND assigned readings OR online lessons, per discussion topic per week. Two resources total and to count must be an in-text citation in your initial post.
- What is a scholarly resource? A scholarly resource is one that comes from a professional, peer-reviewed publication (e.g., journals and government reports such as those from the FDA or CDC).
- Contains references for sources cited
- Written by a professional or scholar in the field and indicates credentials of the author(s)
- Is no more than 5 years old for clinical or research article
- What is not considered a scholarly resource?
- Newspaper articles and layperson literature (e.g., Readers Digest, Healthy Life Magazine, Food, and Fitness)
- Information from Wikipedia or any wiki
- Website homepages
- The weekly lesson
- Articles in healthcare and nursing-oriented trade magazines, such as Nursing Made Incredibly Easy and RNMagazine (Source: What is a scholarly article.docx; Created 06/09 CK/CL Revised: 02/17/11, 09/02/11 nlh/clm)
- Can the lesson for the week be used as a scholarly source?
- Information from the weekly lesson can be cited in a posting; however, it is not to be the sole source used in the post.
- Are resources provided from CU acceptable sources (e.g., the readings for the week)?
- Not as a sole source within the post. The textbook and/or assigned (required) articles for the week can be used, but another outside source must be cited for full credit. Textbooks are not considered scholarly sources for the purpose of discussions.
- Are websites acceptable as scholarly resources for discussions?
- Yes, if they are documents or data cited from credible websites. Credible websites usually end in .gov or .edu; however, some .org sites that belong to professional associations (e.g., American Heart Association, National League for Nursing, American Diabetes Association) are also considered credible websites. Websites ending with .com are not to be used as scholarly resources
- Professionalism in Communication: The post presents information in logical, meaningful, and understandable sequence, and is clearly relevant to the discussion topic. Grammar, spelling, and/or punctuation are accurate.
- Wednesday Participation Requirement: The student provides a substantive response to the graded discussion question(s) or topic(s), posted by the course faculty (not a response to a peer), by Wednesday, 11:59 p.m. MT of each week.
- Total Participation Requirement: The student provides at least three substantive posts (one to the initial question or topic, one to a student peer, and one to a faculty question) on two different days during the week.
- Discussion Rubric
Category Points Description Application of Course Knowledge 15 Answers the initial discussion question(s)/topic(s), demonstrating knowledge and understanding of the concepts for the week by Wednesday at 11:59pm MT. Engagement in Meaningful Dialogue With Peers and Faculty 10 Responds to a student peer AND course faculty furthering the dialogue by providing more information and clarification, adding depth to the conversation Integration of Evidence 15 Assigned readings OR online lesson AND at least one outside scholarly source are included. The scholarly source is:
1) evidence-based, 2) scholarly in nature, 3) published within the last 5 years
Total content points = 40 points Grammar and Communication 5 Presents information using clear and concise language in an organized manner Reference Citation 5 References have complete information as required by APA
In-text citations included for all references AND references included for all in-text citation
Total format points = 10 points Discussion total points = 50 points
**To view the grading criteria/rubric, please click on the 3 dots in the box at the end of the solid gray bar above the discussion board title and then Show Rubric.
Search entries or author Filter replies by unread[Control]Unread Collapse replies Expand replies
Good morning, class!
We will start this week by discussing a practice issue in an area of interest as an NP. Please focus on an area of interest that is a practice change issue you would like to implement as an NP.
You will want to avoid anything requiring a policy or law change, such as full-practice authority. Focus on what you see as a need for change in practice that would improve patient outcomes.
I am looking forward to reading your work!
If you haven’t already, please join the NP Cafe! It has many resources to help your journey in this course succeed!
This café is designed to create a community of support and friends. Get to know your fellow students and share some information, ask questions, and answer questions. It will also contain vital information to help your educational journey here at Chamberlain.
Please join the café by joining the following link. You must be logged into Canvas before you click on the link:
Remember, I am available to you by text with urgent questions or concerns!
Let’s have a great week!
I have included a template that demonstrates how to write PICOT Questions. This is written by Stillwell et al. (2010).
It is a classic piece of literature. It remains as current today as when it was written!
I hope it helps you as you compose your PICOT question!
Question Templates for Asking PICO Questions
THERAPY/INTERVENTION-which intervention leads to the best outcome?
In (P) _______________________________, how does (I) _____________________ as compared with (C)___________________________________ affect (O)________________________
within (T) ____________________________________?
ETIOLOGY – to determine the most significant risk factors or causes of a condition.
Are (P)_________________________ who have (I)_________________________ as compared with those without (C)______________________________at (O)___________risk for _________________________ over (T) ___________________________?
DIAGNOSIS OR DIAGNOSTIC TEST – to determine which test is more accurate and precise in diagnosing a condition.
In (P) _________________________________ are/is (I)________________________compared with (C)_________________________________________ more accurate in diagnosing
PROGNOSIS/PREDICTION – to determine the clinical course over time and likely complications of a condition.
In (P) _____________________________________how does (I) _________________________
Compared with (C)______________________________________ influence (O)_____________________ ____________________ over (T) ________________?
MEANING – to understand the importance of an experience for a particular individual, group, or community.
How do (P)______________________ with (I)________________________
perceive (O)_________________ during (T)__________________________?
Stillwell, S., B., Fineout-Overholt, E., Melnyk, B., M. (2010). Asking the clinical question: A key step in evidence-based practice. American Journal of Nursing 110(3), 58-61
We will be using the 7th Edition APA Edition.
You may need to be made aware of this change in formatting!
Please refer to this student guide for your citations and references!
APA is an expectation in a graduate program!
Please reach out to me if you have any questions!
7th Edition APA Tips for RNBSN Students for Assignments
Note: Yellow highlight below is to draw your attention to the relevant content in the example. Do not highlight your assignment.
7th Edition APA
Please use spell check, grammar check, and proofread your work before submission.
APA Edition Tip: Student papers no longer need “Running head” or SHORT TITLE on the page header. The only element in the page header should be the page number right aligned. Page 44 and Page 61, for example
APA Edition Tip: The title should be in Title Case, bold,