DNP 8000 Wk 5 Discussion: Ethics
As referenced in Week 2, Discussion 2, nurses are perceived as having very high ethical standards (Gallup, 2013). Doctorally prepared nurses should be able to consider ethical issues from multiple viewpoints. In this week’s media presentation, the experts discuss ethical challenges encountered by nurses as they assume leadership positions and as they engage in research.
- Reflect on ethical challenges that you have encountered in your nursing practice.
- Think about the information the experts shared in this week’s media presentation, focusing on the ethical challenges they have encountered as nurse leaders or scientists, as well as information presented in other Learning Resources.
- With this information in mind, consider what new ethical challenges you may face once you obtain your doctoral degree.
By Day 3
Post a cohesive response that addresses the following:
- Describe two or more significant ethical issues relevant to the DNP- or PhD-prepared nurse.
- Explain how these issues might compare to the types of issues you have already encountered in your practice.
Read a selection of your colleagues’ responses.
By Day 6
Respond to at least two of your colleagues in one or more of the following ways:
- Ask a probing question, substantiated with additional background information, evidence, or research.
- Share an insight from having read your colleagues’ postings, synthesizing the information to provide new perspectives.
- Offer and support an alternative perspective using readings from the classroom or from your own research in the Walden Library.
- Validate an idea with your own experience and additional research.
- Make a suggestion based on additional evidence drawn from readings or after synthesizing multiple postings.
- Expand on your colleagues’ postings by providing additional insights or contrasting perspectives based on readings and evidence.