Assignment: the premature aging process
The advance in medical technology and healthcare has dramatically improved the average human lifespan. One of the consequences for longevity is the high prevalence of aging-related chronic disorders such as cardiovascular diseases, cancer and metabolic abnormalities. As the composition of aging population is raising in western countries, heart failure remains the number one cause of death with a more severe impact in the elderly. Obesity and aging are the most critical risk factors for increased susceptibility to heart failure in developing and developed countries. Numerous population-based and experimental data have depicted a close relationship between the age-related diseases and obesity. There is an overall agreement that obesity is causally linked to the development of cardiovascular disorders and severe premature cardiac aging. Accumulating evidence indicates that autophagy plays an important role in obesity, cardiac aging and diseases. In this review, we will focus on the role of autophagy in obesity-related cardiac aging and diseases, and how it regulates age-dependent changes in the heart.
1. Apply critical thinking skills through inquiry by reading with a purpose to identify three physiological results that correlate with the premature aging process associated with obese children’s bodies.
There are various results that will be associated with the premature aging especially if it is being observed from the obese bodies. The obese children will tend to get tired very quickly. They get tired very quickly even after performing a small activity. The fatigue aspect can only be associated with the premature aging. The other physiological result will be the dozing off each and every minute. You find that, the obese children, when they get seated or just have a rest, finally you find them asleep. This is actually witnessed with premature aging in people. The other physiological result is the number of diseases that these children do develop . A normal child who is not suffering from obesity should have low rate of developing disease. In the case of obese children, the situation is quite different and they develop some disease seen in aging people.
2. Use communication skills to reflect the successful identification of three programs and one distinct strategy used by each program to address obesity in children. In your opinion, based on your lifespan knowledge taken from this class, which program appears to be the most comprehensive as evidenced by its taking the biological, social, psychological, and cognitive influences into consideration in its strategy and why is it the most comprehensive.
One of the programs that are being used to address the issue of obesity in children is that program of exercises. The strategy used behind this program is that, it does not only involve the victim but also the family member are highly encouraged to take part in the program. The other program that is being used to try and solve the issue of obesity in children is to try and talk to the children on the best ways of feeding. This is the greatest cause of obesity among the children so it has to be dealt with appropriately. The strategy is to give the activities that a child should be doing instead of sitting in front of a computer the whole day. The other program that has started is measuring the BMI. The strategy with the program is to ensure that the BMI is within the range. The most appropriate program is trying to talk on the feeding habits. It is from the feeding habits that obesity originates from.
3. Apply critical thinking and communication skills to draw three conclusions from the visual data presented in the article and use the conclusions drawn to make inferences about future projections based on the data.
From the visual data presented, it is clear that, parents are contributing to obesity without their knowledge. It takes a wise parent to realize the harm he is causing to his child through the eating habit. From the visual data presented, it is also clear that, a bigger number of obesity children are taking no action. Instead of taking precautions, they leave the issue and the effects accumulate. Another conclusion is that, a good number of children with obesity, is that they are aging prematurely. This is the case for the obese children but if precautions are taken, these advance effects might not be experienced. From such conclusions, it is like, the number of children suffering from obesity will go down since the effects are being seen in the society.
4. According to the article, obesity has reached epidemic proportions among children. What responsibilities should parents have if they know their children are obese? What measures should parents take to protect their children from becoming obese? Does the government have an obligation to protect children from foods, chemicals, or ingredients that are known to be correlated with obesity? Support your position coherently and reasonably. (Civic Engagement/Analysis of Knowledge)
Parents have a lot responsibility towards this issue of children suffering from obesity. One, parents have the responsibility of advising their children on eating habits. The other responsibility is to encourage their children to have exercises regularly. The other responsibility is to take actions as early as possible. The measure that parents should take include, providing the right meals to such children. Parents have should protect their children from taking foods that are fatty and will lead to such problem. The government has an obligation to protect children from this problem. This is a nationwide problem and not a family problem. Therefore, the government can take the necessary measure to ensure that, all those ingredients that contribute to obesity are prohibited. Also it has an obligation of supporting the exercises program in schools and at homes too.
Important information for writing discussion questions and participation
Please read through the following information on writing a Discussion question response and participation posts.
Contact me if you have any questions.
Important information on Writing a Discussion Question
- Your response needs to be a minimum of 150 words (not including your list of references)
- There needs to be at least TWO references with ONE being a peer reviewed professional journal article.
- Include in-text citations in your response
- Do not include quotes—instead summarize and paraphrase the information
- Follow APA-7th edition
- Points will be deducted if the above is not followed
Participation –replies to your classmates or instructor
- A minimum of 6 responses per week, on at least 3 days of the week.
- Each response needs at least ONE reference with citations—best if it is a peer reviewed journal article
- Each response needs to be at least 75 words in length (does not include your list of references)
- Responses need to be substantive by bringing information to the discussion or further enhance the discussion. Responses of “I agree” or “great post” does not count for the word count.
- Follow APA 7th edition
- Points will be deducted if the above is not followed
- Remember to use and follow APA-7th edition for all weekly assignments, discussion questions, and participation points.
- Here are some helpful links
- Student paper example
- Citing Sources
- The Writing Center is a great resource
Welcome to class
Hello class and welcome to the class and I will be your instructor for this course. This is a -week course and requires a lot of time commitment, organization, and a high level of dedication. Please use the class syllabus to guide you through all the assignments required for the course. I have also attached the classroom policies to this announcement to know your expectations for this course. Please review this document carefully and ask me any questions if you do. You could email me at any time or send me a message via the “message” icon in halo if you need to contact me. I check my email regularly, so you should get a response within 24 hours. If you have not heard from me within 24 hours and need to contact me urgently, please send a follow up text to.
I strongly encourage that you do not wait until the very last minute to complete your assignments. Your assignments in weeks 4 and 5 require early planning as you would need to present a teaching plan and interview a community health provider. I advise you look at the requirements for these assignments at the beginning of the course and plan accordingly. I have posted the YouTube link that explains all the class assignments in detail. It is required that you watch this 32-minute video as the assignments from week 3 through 5 require that you follow the instructions to the letter to succeed. Failure to complete these assignments according to instructions might lead to a zero. After watching the video, please schedule a one-on-one with me to discuss your topic for your project by the second week of class. Use this link to schedule a 15-minute session. Please, call me at the time of your appointment on my number. Please note that I will NOT call you.
Please, be advised I do NOT accept any assignments by email. If you are having technical issues with uploading an assignment, contact the technical department and inform me of the issue. If you have any issues that would prevent you from getting your assignments to me by the deadline, please inform me to request a possible extension. Note that working fulltime or overtime is no excuse for late assignments. There is a 5%-point deduction for every day your assignment is late. This only applies to approved extensions. Late assignments will not be accepted.
If you think you would be needing accommodations due to any reasons, please contact the appropriate department to request accommodations.
Plagiarism is highly prohibited. Please ensure you are citing your sources correctly using APA 7th edition. All assignments including discussion posts should be formatted in APA with the appropriate spacing, font, margin, and indents. Any papers not well formatted would be returned back to you, hence, I advise you review APA formatting style. I have attached a sample paper in APA format and will also post sample discussion responses in subsequent announcements.
Your initial discussion post should be a minimum of 200 words and response posts should be a minimum of 150 words. Be advised that I grade based on quality and not necessarily the number of words you post. A minimum of TWO references should be used for your initial post. For your response post, you do not need references as personal experiences would count as response posts. If you however cite anything from the literature for your response post, it is required that you cite your reference. You should include a minimum of THREE references for papers in this course. Please note that references should be no more than 5 years old except recommended as a resource for the class. Furthermore, for each discussion board question, you need ONE initial substantive response and TWO substantive responses to either your classmates or your instructor for a total of THREE responses. There are TWO discussion questions each week, hence, you need a total minimum of SIX discussion posts for each week. I usually post a discussion question each week. You could also respond to these as it would count towards your required SIX discussion posts for the week.
I understand this is a lot of information to cover in 5 weeks, however, the Bible says in Philippians 4:13 that we can do all things through Christ that strengthens us. Even in times like this, we are encouraged by God’s word that we have that ability in us to succeed with His strength. I pray that each and every one of you receives strength for this course and life generally as we navigate through this pandemic that is shaking our world today. Relax and enjoy the course!