Assignment: Practicum – Advanced Nurse Practice
Assignment: Practicum – Advanced Nurse Practice
As a future advanced practice nurse, it is important that you can connect your classroom experience to your practicum experience. By applying the concepts, you study in the classroom to clinical settings, you enhance your professional competency. Each week, you complete an Assignment that prompts you to reflect on your practicum experiences and relate them to the material presented in the classroom. This week, you begin documenting your practicum experiences in your Practicum Journal.
Learning Objectives for Assignment: Practicum – Advanced Nurse Practice
· Analyze nursing and counseling theories to guide practice in psychotherapy*
· Develop goals and objectives for personal practicum experiences*
· Create timelines for practicum activities*
In preparation for this advanced practice nurse practicum experience, address the following in your Practicum Journal:
· Review the media Clinical Interview: Intake, Assessment, & Therapeutic Alliance in your Learning Resources.
· Select one nursing theory and one counseling theory to best guide your practice in psychotherapy.
Note: For guidance on nursing and counseling theories, refer to the Wheeler textbook in this week’s Learning Resources.
Explain why you selected these theories. Support your approach with evidence-based literature.
Develop at least three goals and at least three objectives for the practicum experience in this course.
Create a timeline of practicum activities based on your practicum requirements.
Note: Be sure to use the Practicum Journal Template, located in this week’s Learning Resources. Assignment: Practicum – Advanced Nurse Practice.
Required Readings for the advanced nurse practice practicum
Wheeler, K. (Eds.). (2014). Psychotherapy for the advanced practice psychiatric nurse: A how-to guide for evidence-based practice (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Springer Publishing Company.
Chapter 1, “The Nurse Psychotherapist and a Framework for Practice” (pp. 3–52)
Sommers-Flanagan, J., & Sommers-Flanagan, R. (2012). Clinical interview: Intake, assessment, & therapeutic alliance [Video file]. Mill Valley, CA: Psychotherapy.net. Assignment: Practicum – Advanced Nurse Practice
Assignment: Practicum – Advanced Nurse Practice
Practicum Journal Entry Assignment Paper
To prepare for this course’s Experience, address the following in your first Practicum Journal:
Select and describe a nursing theory to guide your practice.
Develop goals and objectives for your Practicum Experience in this course. When developing your goals and objectives, be sure to keep the seven domains of practice in mind.
Create a timeline of practicum activities based on your practicum requirements.Practicum Journal Entry Assignment Paper
In a one-page journal entry (250-300 words), you should do the following:
Describe your practicum goals and objectives using the seven domains of practice
Discuss a nursing theory that would be used to guide your practice.
Include APA-style citations and references
Betty Neuman once said that sometimes the line of defense can be penetrated by external stressors, to which the base is shaken and it can result in illness symptoms; when this occur, the line of resistance is activated in order to stabilize and therefore return to wellness in a process called “reconstitution” (Turner & Kaylor, 2015 p.214). I have been a nurse for many years now, each day I get up and think whose life will I save today and whose life will touch my soul. Always keeping in mind that the main objective is to improve health, promote and educate those whose structures has been shaking. As a new Nurse Practitioner (NP), I would like to incorporate Betty Neuman’s theory in my practice. Practicum Journal Entry Assignment Paper. She believed that a patient must be viewed as a unique system with its own built responses. During this first week of clinical I was able to see a variety of patients with various environmental factors. For example, I saw a husband and wife who came for a follow up appointment, the wife is wheelchair bound and the husband just had a stroke days before, the daughter brought both parents in and was aware of the medications and treatments that the parents were in. Practicum Journal Entry Assignment Paper. On the other hand, I saw a patient whose caregiver brought in and could not tell us the medications or the different diagnosis that the patient has had in the past, patient had dementia and could not provide us with any of the information. Assignment: Practicum – Advanced Nurse Practice.
Goals and objectives
My goal is to provide quality care to my patients, as a nurse practitioner student I try to utilize technology as much as possible and research the different conditions encountered during my clinical. Although many times I can come to a conclusion based on my nursing experience it is often difficult to rely on experience without researching and utilizing the resources at hand, in order to provide a continuity of care and safe practice.Practicum Journal Entry Assignment Paper
Timeline of practicum activities
I know that during this first week I am supposed to be able to observe at least for four hours, however, I am a hand on person and was fortunate enough to have a preceptor that was comfortable with me doing patient care, I observed the first two patients and then I started to participate in patient care. Practicum Journal Entry Assignment Paper.I think that although I was very nervous the first day of clinical, my preceptor’s positive attitude helped me become more comfortable with caring for the patient
- Select and describe a nursing theory to guide your practice.
- Develop goals and objectives for your Practicum Experience in this course. When developing your goals and objectives, be sure to keep the seven domains of practice in mind.
- Create a timeline of practicum activities based on your practicum requirements
- Include references immediately following the content.
- Use APA style for your journal entry and references. Assignment: Practicum – Advanced Nurse Practice.
Turner, S. B., & Kaylor, S. D. (2015). Neuman Systems Model as a Conceptual Framework for Nurse Resilience. Nursing Science Quarterly, 28(3), 213-217. doi:10.1177/0894318415585620Practicum Journal Entry Assignment Paper
Practicum Journal Week One
Nursing theories can guide the nursing education and the learning process. It is imperative that nurse practitioner students can understand and use nursing theories to guide their clinicals and future nursing practice. The purpose of this writing is to explain how Nola Pender’s Health Promotion Model will guide my practicum experience. In addition to explaining the theory, goals, objectives, and a timeline will be defined for the rest of the clinical experience.
Nursing Theory to Guide Practice
Nola Pender’s Health Promotion Model is a guideline that encompasses the patient taking control of their health to transform into a state of wellness. The advanced practice nurse in this role helps patients to be able to identify behaviors that need to be changed and then incorporate strategies to promote wellness by changing those behaviors (Chenary, Noroozi, Tavafian, & Saeed Firoozabadi, 2016) Assignment: Practicum – Advanced Nurse Practice. My practicum experience will be guided by Pender’s Health Promotion Model by promoting health and wellness throughout the lifespan of the patients that I see. I will accomplish this by creating a treatment plan that includes attempting to identify the biological, physical, and psychological factors that may impede the patient from becoming an active participant in their health and wellness. When a behavior is defined, that may hinder the process an action plan will be implemented so that the patient will want to participate in the wellness process. Assignment: Practicum – Advanced Nurse Practice.
Goals and Objectives for Practicum
Goals for this practicum are based on the seven domains of nursing practice. They will include taking the information learned in the previous classes and this class and transform it into practice. Practicum Journal Entry Assignment Paper.Critical thinking will be applied by using the assessment, diagnosis, implementation, and the treatment process. By the end of the practicum, I will be able to identify an accurate diagnosis, formulate differential diagnoses, and develop a treatment plan based on evidence-based practice.
- By the end of week one, I will communicate effectively with my preceptor and the other office staff members by keeping the lines of communication open and verbalizing any concerns or questions that I have to the preceptor and staff.
- By the end of week two, I will build a positive interpersonal relationship between myself and the preceptor which is known to facilitate the learning process (Ellemes Phuma-Ngaiyaye, Thokozani Bvumbwe, & Mep Coretta Chipeta, 2017). Assignment: Practicum – Advanced Nurse Practice
- By the end of week two, I will be able to efficiently perform a head to toe assessment and be able to question the patient in a nonjudgmental manner.
- By the end of week three, I will utilize the skills I have learned to formulate differential diagnoses and be able to discuss with the preceptor at least one possible intervention for treatment.
- By the end of week four, I diagnose patients accurately and formulate an appropriate treatment plan and be able to discuss it with the preceptor.
- By the end of week five, I will use up-to-date pharmacological treatment resources when learning to prescribe to the patients by using current evidence.
- By the end of week six, I will learn to use Kentucky All Schedule Prescription Electronic Reporting. It is tool providers utilize in the state of Kentucky to track and monitor controlled substances (Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services, 2018) Practicum Journal Entry Assignment Paper.
- By the end of week seven, I will provide patient-centered care to the patients and remain culturally competent by recognizing the patients’ needs, expectations, beliefs, and perspectives.
- By the end of the practicum, I will be able to effectively use and incorporate Nola Pender’s Health Promotion Model into practice by identifying factors that can impede the wellness and health promotion process and identify ways for the patient to overcome the factors.
- By the end of the practicum, I will be able to recognize common symptoms and correctly diagnose diseases such as hypertension, diabetes mellitus, and heart disease. I will be able to effectively formulate an appropriate treatment plan by the end of the practicum.
Summary – Assignment: Practicum – Advanced Nurse Practice
In conclusion, nursing theories guide nurse practitioners to provide holistic care to promote wellness of patients. Nola Pender’s Health Promotion Model is a theory that states the patient has specific behavioral aspects that can impede the wellness within oneself. As a student nurse practitioner, I plan to be more aware of how nursing theories can guide my practice Nola Pender’s Health Promotion Model. I must identify any behavior or environmental influence that may impede the wellness of a patient and promote wellness through the identification of such behaviors and influences.Assignment: Practicum – Advanced Nurse Practice
Chenary, R., Noroozi, A., Tavafian, S. S., & Saeed Firoozabadi, M. (2016). Effective factors on health-promoting lifestyle among Iranian chemical veterans in 2014 based on Health Promotion Model: A path analysis. Iranian Red Crescent Medical Journal, 18(8), 2. http://doi.org/10.5812/ircmj.33467
de Araújo Gama, G., Soares Figueiredo Trezza, M. C., da Silva Rodrigues, P. M., & de Melo Cezar Alves, K. (2016). Health promotion in pregnancy: Enforcement of Nola Pender Theory on prenatal care. Journal of Nursing UFPE / Revista De Enfermagem UFPE, 10, 4428-4431. doi:10.5205/reuol.9284-81146-1-SM.1005sup201638Practicum Journal Entry Assignment Paper
Ellemes Phuma-Ngaiyaye, P. R., Thokozani Bvumbwe, M. R., & Mep Coretta Chipeta, B. R. (2017). Using preceptors to improve nursing students’ clinical learning outcomes: A Malawian students’ perspective. International Journal of Nursing Sciences, 4(2), 164-168. doi:10.1016/j.ijnss.2017.03.001
Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services. (2018). KASPER (Kentucky All Schedule Prescription Electronic Reporting). Retrieved from http://www.chfs.ky.gov/os/oig/KASPER.htm. Assignment: Practicum – Advanced Nurse Practice