Assignment: NURSING 5 EVOLVE CH 6 QUESTIONS
- You are working on an inpatient psychiatric unit and caring for Elizabeth, who is becoming agitated. You speak with Elizabeth one to one in a private setting, find out the reason for the agitation, and then assist Elizabeth with ways to calm down, possibly including prn medication to prevent further escalation of Elizabeth’s agitation, which could lead to seclusion and/or restraints. You are making care decisions based on:
- writ of habeas
- least restrictive alternative doctrine. Correct
Rationale: Least restrictive alternative doctrine is described as using the least drastic means of achieving a specific goal. By doing the actions described you are possibly preventing the more restrictive setting of seclusion and/or restraints. Writ of habeas corpus is a legal term meaning a written order “to free the person.” Veracity is one of the five ethical principles or guidelines. Bioethics refers to ethics in a health care setting.
- Which of the following patients may be an appropriate candidate for a release from hospitalization known as against medical advice (AMA)?
- 37-year-old patient hospitalized for 6 days; the provider feels one more day would benefit the patient, but the patient doesn’t agree and wishes to be discharged
- 75-year-old patient with dementia who demands to be allowed to go back to his own home
- 21-year-old actively suicidal patient on the psychiatric unit who wants to be discharged to home and do outpatient counseling
- 32-year-old female patient who wishes to stay in the hospital but whose husband demands that she be discharged into his care
- Sophie, aged 27 years, has a diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia. She stopped taking her medications and believes that she is to be taken by the aliens to live with them on another planet. She was observed walking through traffic on a busy road, and then was found climbing the railing on a bridge, to “be ready for them to take me in their ship.” Sophie is During your shift she begins running up and down the halls, banging her head on the walls, and yelling, “Get them out of my head!” On what basis can Sophie be medicated against her will?
- If Sophie has taken the medication in the past and has had no adverse effects
- If Sophie may cause imminent harm to herself or others
- If Sophie still has the capacity to make an informed decision regarding medication
- If Sophie is provided education regarding the medication before administration of the
- Jonas is a 29-year-old patient with anxiety and a history of alcohol abuse who is an inpatient on the psychiatric unit. He becomes angry and aggressive, strikes another patient, and then attacks a staff member. He is taken to seclusion and medicated with haloperidol and lorazepam. In this case, the haloperidol and lorazepam may be considered:
- a restraint.
- a medication time-out.
- Which of the following scenarios describe a HIPAA violation?
- Janie, the ED nurse, gives report to Amanda, a nurse on the intensive care unit, regarding Joel, who is being admitted.
- Mark, a nurse on the medical-surgical floor, calls his patient’s primary care provider to obtain a list of current medications.
- Lyla, a nurse on the cardiac unit, gives report to Chloe, the nurse on the step-down unit, regarding the patient Lyla, who will be transferring, while they are walking in the hospital hallway.
- Tony, a nurse on the psychiatric unit, gives discharge information to the counseling office where his patient will be going to outpatient treatment after
- Important information for writing discussion questions and participationHi Class,
Please read through the following information on writing a Discussion question response and participation posts.
Contact me if you have any questions.
Important information on Writing a Discussion Question
- Your response needs to be a minimum of 150 words (not including your list of references)
- There needs to be at least TWO references with ONE being a peer reviewed professional journal article.
- Include in-text citations in your response
- Do not include quotes—instead summarize and paraphrase the information
- Follow APA-7th edition
- Points will be deducted if the above is not followed
Participation –replies to your classmates or instructor
- A minimum of 6 responses per week, on at least 3 days of the week.
- Each response needs at least ONE reference with citations—best if it is a peer reviewed journal article
- Each response needs to be at least 75 words in length (does not include your list of references)
- Responses need to be substantive by bringing information to the discussion or further enhance the discussion. Responses of “I agree” or “great post” does not count for the word count.
- Follow APA 7th edition
- Points will be deducted if the above is not followed
- Remember to use and follow APA-7th edition for all weekly assignments, discussion questions, and participation points.
- Here are some helpful links
- Student paper example
- Citing Sources
- The Writing Center is a great resource
Welcome to class
Hello class and welcome to the class and I will be your instructor for this course. This is a -week course and requires a lot of time commitment, organization, and a high level of dedication. Please use the class syllabus to guide you through all the assignments required for the course. I have also attached the classroom policies to this announcement to know your expectations for this course. Please review this document carefully and ask me any questions if you do. You could email me at any time or send me a message via the “message” icon in halo if you need to contact me. I check my email regularly, so you should get a response within 24 hours. If you have not heard from me within 24 hours and need to contact me urgently, please send a follow up text to.
I strongly encourage that you do not wait until the very last minute to complete your assignments. Your assignments in weeks 4 and 5 require early planning as you would need to present a teaching plan and interview a community health provider. I advise you look at the requirements for these assignments at the beginning of the course and plan accordingly. I have posted the YouTube link that explains all the class assignments in detail. It is required that you watch this 32-minute video as the assignments from week 3 through 5 require that you follow the instructions to the letter to succeed. Failure to complete these assignments according to instructions might lead to a zero. After watching the video, please schedule a one-on-one with me to discuss your topic for your project by the second week of class. Use this link to schedule a 15-minute session. Please, call me at the time of your appointment on my number. Please note that I will NOT call you.
Please, be advised I do NOT accept any assignments by email. If you are having technical issues with uploading an assignment, contact the technical department and inform me of the issue. If you have any issues that would prevent you from getting your assignments to me by the deadline, please inform me to request a possible extension. Note that working fulltime or overtime is no excuse for late assignments. There is a 5%-point deduction for every day your assignment is late. This only applies to approved extensions. Late assignments will not be accepted.
If you think you would be needing accommodations due to any reasons, please contact the appropriate department to request accommodations.
Plagiarism is highly prohibited. Please ensure you are citing your sources correctly using APA 7th edition. All assignments including discussion posts should be formatted in APA with the appropriate spacing, font, margin, and indents. Any papers not well formatted would be returned back to you, hence, I advise you review APA formatting style. I have attached a sample paper in APA format and will also post sample discussion responses in subsequent announcements.
Your initial discussion post should be a minimum of 200 words and response posts should be a minimum of 150 words. Be advised that I grade based on quality and not necessarily the number of words you post. A minimum of TWO references should be used for your initial post. For your response post, you do not need references as personal experiences would count as response posts. If you however cite anything from the literature for your response post, it is required that you cite your reference. You should include a minimum of THREE references for papers in this course. Please note that references should be no more than 5 years old except recommended as a resource for the class. Furthermore, for each discussion board question, you need ONE initial substantive response and TWO substantive responses to either your classmates or your instructor for a total of THREE responses. There are TWO discussion questions each week, hence, you need a total minimum of SIX discussion posts for each week. I usually post a discussion question each week. You could also respond to these as it would count towards your required SIX discussion posts for the week.
I understand this is a lot of information to cover in 5 weeks, however, the Bible says in Philippians 4:13 that we can do all things through Christ that strengthens us. Even in times like this, we are encouraged by God’s word that we have that ability in us to succeed with His strength. I pray that each and every one of you receives strength for this course and life generally as we navigate through this pandemic that is shaking our world today. Relax and enjoy the course!